We found 0 results. View results
Advanced Search
we found 0 results
Your search results

How To Convert Your Home Into a Rental Property

Posted by Matthew Gunn on May 3, 2022
| 0

Are you considering renting your home in Glasgow? Not sure where to start?

Converting your home to rent in Glasgow does require knowledge of certain legislation and obligations a Landlord has. Renting a home isn’t as simple as just finding a tenant and collecting rent, so we’ve compiled a list of what is required to get you started:

1. Mortgage

If you have are currently mortgaging your property, you have two options:

  • Obtain consent to let from your lender
  • Remortgage into a buy-to-let mortgage

We generally only recommend going the consent to let route if you plan on moving back into the property at some point.

2. Register as a Landlord

In Scotland, all landlords must be registered with the Scottish Government. You can list your property on the market while an application is pending, but we recommend submitting the application as soon as possible – it will make things easier when it comes time to create the Tenancy Agreement.

3. Are you Compliant?

Landlords should ensure that they provide quality accommodations, and that their property is safe while all legal obligations are being met.


The Housing (Scotland) Act 2014 requires landlords to have an Electrical Installation Condition Report or EICR carried out at least every five years.

A Portable Appliance Test or PAT check are required on appliances provided by the landlord, but not those belonging to the tenant. This must be checked at the change of every tenancy and every 1 to 2 years during a tenancy.


If your property has gas, the safety regulations require Landlords to ensure that all gas fittings and flues are maintained in a safe and compliant condition. They must also ensure that all appliances and flues are checked for safety at least once each calendar year.

A Gas Safe Registered engineer should carry out these checks at least every year, and again if any new appliances are fitted such as fireplaces or cookers. This check will include the boiler, heated water tanks, fireplaces, gas meters and cookers. You must supply the tenant with a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate (GSC) you received from the engineer.

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Guidance issued by Scottish Ministers for Smoke/Heat detectors requires there to be at least:

  • one functioning smoke alarm in the room which is frequently used by the occupants for general daytime living purposes (such as a lounge or living room)
  • one functioning smoke alarm in every circulation space on each storey, such as hallways and landings, or in main room if no landing in upper storey
  • one heat alarm in every kitchen
  • all alarms should be ceiling mounted
  • all alarms should be interlinked so that all sound when one device is activated (bluetooth interlinking can be used in most cases rather than hard wired interlinking).

Smoke detectors have expiry dates printed on them and must be replaced before that date is reached. They also should be audibly checked periodically to ensure they are operational and remain interlinked.

Landlords must have a long life battery OR mains powered Carbon Monoxide detector in any space which contains a carbon based fuel appliance (excluding cookers), such as a gas/oil boiler, fireplace, wood burning stove or open coal fire. There are rules on the positioning of detectors including that they should in most cases be 1-3 metres from the appliance, 30cm from any walls (if ceiling mounted) and 15cm below ceilings (if wall mounted).

Legionella/Legionnaire’s Risk Assessment

Landlords have a legal duty to ensure that the risk of exposure of Tenants to Legionnaires’ Disease is properly assessed and controlled. A risk assessment should be carried out at the start of each Tenancy and reviewed every 1 to 2 years and control measures should be implemented.

Energy Performance Certificate

All properties must have an up-to-date EPC on file prior to marketing. These certificates last 10 years and give the tenant an idea of the energy-efficiency of your property. They will also give you any recommendations of improvements you can make to increase your rating. The EPC regulations will be changing in the next few years, which you can read more about here.

4. Choose a Property Management Company

Self-managing can cause a lot of stress and uncertainty with all of the regulations in place. A certified and registered Letting Agency can help make the process a lot more “hands off” and make the transition as smooth as possible for the Landlord. We wrote an article all the things you should consider when choosing a letting agent.


Gallus Lettings can help you make the transition from homeowner to Landlord smooth and simple. If you are considering renting your home in Glasgow, get in touch with our office for more information!

Compare Listings